Cell Guidance Systems' karyotyping service is carried out by experienced, clinically qualified cytogeneticists.
We provide analysis of both mouse and human cells.
For each species, there are two levels of service available:
(1) Cells growing in culture (which we process for analysis)
(2) Cells already processed and fixed in your lab (we provide a detailed protocol).
For human cells only, an express service is available which returns results within 5/7 business days (for cells provided fixed/in culture, respectively).
All services aim to provide karyotype analysis of 20 G-banded metaphase spreads from a single cell culture sample. If fewer than 20 cells are found in the sample provided, as many cells as possible will be analyzed. At least one high quality image of a representative karyotype is provided which is suitable for publication. In the event karyotypic abnormalities are found, additional figures will be provided. If complex mosaic karyotypes are found, fewer than 20 cells may be analyzed. Results are returned via email.
If you have any questions, please contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org or using the form below. We will respond within one business day. Please note, we do not offer clinical services for patients.
We are often asked what constitutes a normal report? Here are some thoughts on the subject:
1. Since we are typically searching for abnormalities associated with cell culture, we report every cell with a structural abnormality.
2. We would most likely not report cells with a single chromosome trisomy or monosomy as these could be found due to slide preparation (overspreding).
3. 10% mosaicism for structural or numerical abnormality would be excluded when practical in all instances.
4. Cell lines with multiple cells with the same or different related abnormalities would be classed as cytogenetically abnormal.
5. We would not assign the cell line as abnormal if an abnormality was found in a single cell only.