PeptiGels® peptide hydrogels are fully synthetic and spontaneously self-assemble to form 3D nano-fibrous hydrogels that mimic the native extracellular matrix (ECM). The mechanical stiffness of these hydrogels is modulated and matches the stiffness of most tissue types. The fibre surfaces can be (bio)chemically functionalised with several biomimetic peptide sequences from key ECM proteins that are proven to signal and enhance biological processes. These include RGD (fibronectin), IKVAV (laminin), YIGSR (laminin) and GFOGER (collagen).
The ability to tune the properties of the peptide hydrogels to provide the optimal environment for your cells’ needs, makes them the ideal synthetic alternative to animal derived matrices such as Matrigel™, Geltrex™ and collagen.
As peptides are the building blocks of nature, PeptiGels® are inherently biocompatible and provide a suitable environment for cells to survive and thrive
Core technology benefits
- Animal and disease free - PeptiGels® are fully synthetic and and animal product free. They are 100% ethical. They are formulated to closely mimic a range of human tissues and in-vivo environments, thus increasing translatability to humans.
- Reproducible - PeptiGels® are manufactured in a dedicated facility with rigorous quality control ensuring consistent product quality. This gives you confidence that you will achieve the same results each time, providing enhanced data quality and reliability.
- Mechanically tuneable - PeptiGels® come in a range of mechanical strengths and viscosities enabling you to optimise the scaffold for your cells’ and bioprinting needs. The range of stiffness’ available mimic all human tissue types and provide control over cell behaviour and fate.
- Biochemically functional - Bioactive peptide sequences can be incorporated within our peptide hydrogels to influence the dynamic interplay between cells and the ECM. This is done in a controlled and systematic way.
- Convenient and ready-to-use - Our products are supplied as ready-made hydrogels. There are no complex temperature or pH control steps required; you simply seed your cells at room temperature and get consistent results, saving you both time and hassle.
- Sprayable, injectable and printable - the shear-thinning properties of our hydrogels enables their flexible handling, opening up their use in high-throughput liquid handling systems and extrusion-based bioprinting. It also enables versatile delivery by injection, spray or endoscope for targeted drug delivery and cell therapies.
- Transparent - PeptiGels® are optically transparent making them compatible with imaging techniques to allow for live-cell imaging and real-time quantification of cell mobility.
- Clinically translatable - Our hydrogels are fully defined and their inherent biocompatibility enables clinically translatable research.
PeptiGels® work - what researchers say
Comparison of 2D cell culture and 3D cell culture with PeptiGel®
PeptiGels® can be used for 2D and 3D cell culture, and have been proven successful in supporting a range of application areas. See how they compare.
2D vs. 3D cell culture
2D Cell Culture
3D Cell Culture
|Not representative of the in-vivo environment||Better simulation of the in-vivo environment|
|Altered cell-to-cell interactions and signalling||Enhanced cell-to-cell interactions and signalling|
|Need for animal testing for validation||Reduction in animal usage|
|Limited in its application areas||Wide-ranging applications e.g. integration of fluid flow and bioprinting|
|Lack of in-vivo predictivity||Reliable and relevant results|
|Simple to analyse||Improved method to model diseases|
|Well established||Not as widely explored|
PeptiGels® are easy to handle